Needle Breast Biopsy
Right after the Test
The recovery period immediately after needle breast biopsy is quick.
After the needle biopsy is finished, a nurse will:
- Put a small bandage over the site
- Place an ice bag on the area to reduce swelling and pain
- Check your heart rate and blood pressure
- Watch the biopsy site for bleeding or signs of infection
- Monitor the amount of pain you’re feeling.
You’ll be able to go home when:
- Your vital signs have returned to what’s normal for you
- Your pain is manageable
- There is no evidence of bruising or bleeding at the incision site.
The doctor may talk with you about the needle breast biopsy recovery. This is a good time to discuss whether you should avoid certain activities, such as heavy lifting or running, after you go home.